Wednesday, 7 May 2014

10 Days Until Opener

Hi everyone! It's been a little while since my last ice report, so I thought I would check in. Unfortunately, when it comes to the ice conditions, there isn't a whole lot of news to report. A couple of weeks ago, when I did my first ice report, we were on track for the ice to be gone by opener. The ice had deteriorated quickly in a short amount of time and all we needed was some warm spring days to take it away. Unfortunately, the weather has not been cooperating the last couple of weeks. Although we had some very windy days, the temperature never rose to that 10-degree minimum that we needed and the sun barely came out.

They are calling for rain today, Thursday and Friday, and very warm temperatures for Saturday and Sunday. Hopefully the rain will do some damage and those warm temperatures will carry on throughout next week. If the weather cooperates, there is still a chance that the ice will be gone by opening weekend on some of the smaller lakes as well as lakes that are connected to river systems. We will know a lot more by Sunday evening after this rain and warm weather plays out and we can see May 17th in the seven-day forecast.

The airplanes are off the ice now and work at the outposts is on hold until the ice is gone. Work at the drive-in resorts is now well underway. There is lots of grounds-keeping, cabin maintenance, cabin cleaning, and dock building to keep us busy while we wait for the ice to melt. Last week, the guys wrapped things up at Kapikik for now. The cabin interior is finished and the outhouse is almost complete. Once Dad can fly up there on floats, he will finish up with the outhouse and fish-cleaning house and any final touches that need to be done.

It's amazing how fast time is flying by now after such a long winter. There is so much to do and get ready for the busy season ahead of us and time is ticking... The ice situation is beyond our control and all we can do is stay optimistic and stay focussed on getting the camps ready for opening weekend! We will keep everyone updated on the ice conditions at K.C.'s Landing on Edward Lake and at Northern Lights Resort on Cedar Lake. I will take pictures of the lakes in front of the camps this weekend.

Keep your fingers crossed and send us some warm weather!!

Until next time,

Meagan Stansfield

Below the Damn on Wegg Lake Friday, May 2
Below the Damn on Wegg Lake Friday May 2

No comments:

Post a Comment